WiSTEM Type 1 Roadster
During the 2010-11 competition year, Green Bay Preble, Ashwaubenon, and West De Pere teams worked together to create the WiSTEM Type 1 Roadster. This vehicle was only made possible by the help of Dennis Palatov from Palatov Motorsports. By using Mr. Palatov’s original DP 1 design, the students created their own high performance track vehicle.
The design criteria the students were given was to develop a high performance track vehicle, with independent suspension, and still be fiscally responsible.
Through MANY donations and sponsorships, the PDQ Type 1 was completed on April 12, 2011.
- Rear wheel drive
- 12.5# custom chain drive differential made from VW 020 transmission parts
- Custom differential mount with tensioning system
- Rear differential brake with custom brake mount and laser cut rotor
- VW CV joints
- VW bus axles (3/4” spacers and they fit just right!)
- Bassett Racing Wheels: 13 x 8
- Hankook Ventus V710 tires: 225/45-13
- RCI 3 gallon fuel cell
- 6 way adjustable mountain bike frame shocks
- Redesigned suspension to eliminate high angle rod ends
- Widened cockpit
- Modified Kirkey seat (actually cut the bottom and re-welded the pan)
- Dual caliper front spindles with laser cut rotors
- VW Super beetle, ¾” bore master cylinder
- Adjustable pedal mount
- Re-designed spindles (Doug Heim special design)
- 40 HP, race prepped Briggs & Stratton V-twin, 7000 RPM redline, dyno tested
- 40” long 1.25” diameter exhaust, ceramic coated and wrapped
- Team Industries, 100 HP CVT
- Full powder-coat on all steel parts
If your school and team would be interested in building their own Type 1, please contact us. The original CAD models are available for educational use only. Formula High School currently owns the body mold for this amazing vehicle.
Teams: We will be limiting the engine to the same 16 HP engine used in our original FHS cars. This reduces the cost to the teams. CVT transmission should be used.